Sunday, May 6, 2012

23 & KEEPING IT CLASSY

This cake was created for My Best Friend of 19 years, Kelly Elizabeth Murray, on her 23rd (Golden) Birthday. Turned 23 on April 23rd ;) She wanted something classic that had a fun twist incorporating Hot Pink and Gold Bows. And that is exactly what I did! I Hand Created all 3 Bows and covered each one with an Edible 14 Karat Gold Dust as well as a Ton Edible Gold Glitter to make them really sparkle. The black and white stripes created a classic simplicity for the cake that ended up Highlighting the Bows and Hot Pink elements. This was also the first time that I attempted Royal Icing Toppers! I Hand piped "Kelly" in Cursive onto Wax Paper as well as a "23" for the top of the cake. Allowing more than 24 hours for the Letters and Numbers to dry, they became extremely stiff and extremely perfect to prop up on to the cake. I packed each of them with an Edible Hot Pink Glitter to compliment my sparkly bows. Unfortunately, as a first attempt I made the "23" too thin and they ended up breaking in half! So I quickly painted some Popsicle sticks with the 14 Karat Gold Dust and used them as supports for my 23! Easy as that! Kelly LOVED the cake and more than anything we all loved getting to eat the cake!




French Vanilla Cake w/ Sweet Vanilla Buttercream & Fresh Strawberries